Rutgers University Department of
Physics and Astronomy
Guidelines for submitting homeworks
It is permissible, and even encouraged, to share ideas with your
fellow students at the beginning stage of approaching a problem.
However, once you think you know what direction to take in finding
a solution, the write-up of the solution must be your own independent
All homeworks must be uploaded electronically as PDFs to the
Canvas site. This must be a single multipage PDF of good quality.
Here are some options:
- I think most students will continue to prepare hand-written
homework on paper. In this case you need to be careful to
convert it to a clean PDF:
- If you have access to a scanner, this is probably best.
- Otherwise, there are some excellent smart-phone apps that you
can use. I recommend CamScanner or
AdobeScan, both of which have excellent algorithms
for auto-finding page boundaries and whitening the background.
- PDFs constructed from simple smart-phone snapshots are
- If you have access to a tablet and stylus, you may be able
to produce handwritten homeworks in PDF entirely electronically.
This is also fine.
- In either case, please make sure your handwriting is legible!
- While I don't recommend it, homeworks prepared in LaTeX or MSWord
and converted to PDF are also acceptable.